Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Alice, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your home warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it should be replaced. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at Rescue Heating & Air can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your system will last longer.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Rescue Heating & Air in Alice a call to get started. Contact our team at 361-265-4371 or arrange an appointment with us online.