Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Rescue Heating & Air in Alice about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the timeline between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Rescue Heating & Air . A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Rescue Heating & Air about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Alice home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Rescue Heating & Air a call at 361-265-4371.