Whenever your gas furnace is working, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no cause for worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is running properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is kept inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the outside. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide prevents the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can affect anyone exposed to the gas, it is notably risky for people with existing lung or heart problems, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and maintain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s nearly impossible to notice carbon monoxide is gathering in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it looked at. The experts at Rescue Heating & Air can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, your professionals will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a good idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A backup of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to leak out of your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always rely on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few safeguards. You’ll always have the professionals at Rescue Heating & Air in Alice just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 361-265-4371 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.